Thursday, May 17, 2012

Whole Wheat Pancakes

I just tweaked a whole wheat pancake recipe that I found online. Here is my ingredient list:

3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp Baking Powder
6 Tbsp RAW sugar
4 egg yolks
3 Cups Nonfat milk
6 Tbsp apple sauce
3 Tbsp FRESHLY ground Flax Seed

Mix everything together and cook in a non stick pan or lightly oiled cast iron pan.

These pancakes were amazing! My kids LOVED them. For perfect sizes I used my measuring cup that measures 1/3 cup. The Apple Sauce is replacing the oil that would have been used in the recipe,(I used some of Romans baby food berry apple mixture), the non fat milk replaces 2%, and I added the freshly ground flax seed which I just learned I could grind in my coffee grinder. I learned yesterday as I was doing some research that flax seed has a fresh oil that is released when you grind it, and that it can go rancid fast. So, if you buy it already ground... chances are it has WAY less nutrition as a freshly ground seed. Good info to know! Sometimes we spend a lot of money on things that are already ground and we don't realize that it doesn't have as much nutritional value. This makes a ton of pancakes, so feel free to half the recipe.
It made me think of a coffee bean, and how much tastier it is from a freshly ground bean!

Well, that is my post for the day! 

Blessings!

Dani


6 comments:

  1. Looks good! I have a whole wheat banana bread recipe on a pinterest board that you should try too....they are amazing. I used to mix flax seed oil into smoothies when I was running in highschool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check that recipe out!!!

      Delete
    2. I left out that this whole wheat banana bread is pancakes!!

      Delete
  2. I wish we were neighbors...
    Hey if you want to make these protein packed, replace the sugar with 2 scoops Rich Vanilla MRM protein powder (or vanilla protein powder of choice), pure maple syrup drizzled on top and your in business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I usually make a buckwheat pancake from a mix that my inlaws introduced me too. But It's so expensive, I'm wondering if I should switch. I can make up the dry ingredients and have it ready for when its pancake time at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome ideas! Thanks guys. I'm having fun with the recipes. Priscilla, I bet it would be nice to have pre made so you can just add the egg and milk. Aaron put almond butter and granola on top of his. Either way it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete