Tuesday, May 15, 2012

From the Inside Out

In September 2011, I watched a documentary called, 'The Incredible Human Machine'.  It was amazing, and after watching the entire thing... I had to pick my chin up off the floor! It was life changing and really opened my eyes to what I was consuming, and how I was 'fueling' my body. 
My husband and I hardly ever eat fast food. Its just something that we have always stayed away from. When we travel, we pack food, and stop at grocery stores to get something healthy to snack on.  After realizing that I wanted to make a big change, I did... and it lasted a whole 70 days. I gradually got back into eating the way I was before.  
Aaron (spouse), and I recently watched another documentary called 'Forks over Knives' and we decided that this is the way we needed to start eating. So I am starting this blog, for anyone to read and hopefully get helpful fun ideas to feed a family based on a whole foods, plant based diet. 
I am not a writer, I am just hungry and excited to learn about eating the best I can.  Below is a helpful list of a whole foods, plant based diet. I hope you all find some of this information helpful and I hope you all start feeling better, from the inside out.  

(Engine2diet.com)


Cooking oil substitutes
Fat-free cooking spray, such as Spectrum
Vegetable stock

Fresh produce
Choose a wide variety from this category, and focus especially on 
dark leafy greens.
Fruit 
Vegetables
Herbs, such as parsley and cilantro

Whole grains
Brown rice
Wild rice
Risotto
Whole grain breads/pita
Whole grain baking mixes
Whole grain pancake mix
Whole wheat pasta

Dried and canned goods
Select items without added salt, sugars, or preservatives. 
Beans - including black, kidney, pinto, and 
northern varieties
Lentils - including red, green, and brown varieties
Fruits - including raisins, apricots, pineapples, 
strawberries, dates, figs, and mangoes 
Spices
Tomatoes
Nuts
Avoid roasted varieties.
Walnuts
Cashews
Almonds
Pistachios

Meat Substitutes
Meal-starter crumbles
Tempeh
Tofu
Seitan
Wheat Gluten
Lentils

Milk Substitutes
Choose varieties that do not contain added oils.
Almond milk
Multi-grain milk
Oat milk
Rice milk
Soy milk

Sweeteners
Molasses
Maple syrup
Honey
Banana and apple sauce can replace sugar in recipes

Vinegars
Balsamic
Fruit
Oriental

28 DAY TOOLBOX:  Kitchen Must-Haves… to get Plant-Strong!
Make snacks and meal preparation 
easier by keeping these staples handy.
In the fridge
Cooked brown rice
Cooked beans/legumes
Hummus
Salad
Sliced fruits and vegetables

In the freezer
Watch the fat and sodium content of prepared frozen 
foods, especially meat substitutes.
Corn tortillas
Fruits and vegetables
E2 approved breads
Meat substitutes, such as veggie burgers 
and veggie dogs
Pita bread
Pizza crusts

Blessings, 


No comments:

Post a Comment